Monday, October 17, 2011

DIY: MARABOU FEATHER VEST

Happy Monday everyone! Today I wanted to share with you one of my creations that I got to sport this weekend, my marabou feather vest. I was actually in Nordstrom about a month ago and spotted this gorgeous combo by Haute Hippie. Well, that would have costed me over $700!!! 

INSPIRATION
$495!!!

$265!!

So I embarked on a journey to find "a look for less". And I found it!!! Seek and you shall find people, and a little creativity doesn't hurt either. So as I searched the internet I fell upon this great blog,  Love Maegan, where I found a killer tutorial on making your own marabou feather vest. So easy! All it required was...

1) a vest (I used my Express suit vest that I hadn't worn in forever) - FREE
2) about 6 marabou feather boas - $15
3) a needle and black thread - FREE
4) A bit of time and patience because you will be doing a lot of hand sewing


Here's the vest halfway done. My Nan is sporting it, she helped me thread the needles. How cute is she!!

And the look alike top I bought, was practically the same color. It is the Lucinda blouse in flame, from J. Crew. Originally $98, I got it 50% off!

And here I go sporting the vest, unfortunately not with the J. Crew blouse I bought but still the same silky glam effect. Unfortunately this shot was taken in a parking garage while waiting for the elevator. Sorry people I'm not the most photogenic, and this is the best shot I got, so this is what you get. :)


TOTAL COST OF INSPIRATION - $760

LOOK FOR LESS - $59