Monday, March 5, 2012

NURSERY DESIGN

Just got back from a relaxing weekend getaway in the Poconos with some of my best gal pals. Got to release some much needed stress in the jacuzzi and down possibly one too many black cherry rum and cokes. So now it's back to work and I'm feeling a bit inspired by my trip, but surprisingly not from the scenery. I'm inspired by a precious 10 month old baby girl named Maci, who happens to be one of my amazing friend's lil nugget of love. She is such a blessing and we all love her as if she were our own little princess! So today I got into a bit of nursery design magic with the help of a few new vendors I have been sourcing for recent projects. 

I couldn't help but go toward the typical pink route but I think I did it in such a whimsical modern way that some of these pieces could easily go from little girl to teenager. Surprisingly I started off with the pink chevron rug from Dwell Studio and then found the lacquered bubblegum pink armoire with chrome hardware from DucDuc, a modern twist on functional baby and child furnishings. Then I happened to run into this Madame Butterfly Peony wallpaper by Designer Guild. To. Die. For. RIGHT? I'm already feeling envious of this dream nursery. I then finished the look with a vintage Marcel Breuer rocking chair, a pink pouf (Serena & Lily), a sheepskin, a Bloom crib (allmodern.com), and a pair of Jonathan Adler giraffe sconces. 


Then I thought to myself, I have a friend with a little boy on the way, so why not do a little boy's nursery. So I began with the Morgan crib and armoire using DucDuc again. Knowing that I wanted to use bright colors in a subtle way on a back drop of muted blue grasscloth I added the Collins bright orange rocker (DucDuc), a chartreuse pouf this time, a funky blue banana pillow by Jonathan Adler, bright lemon elephant bookshelf by Dwell, Gum Drop pendant by Serena & Lily, and completed the look with a colorful abstract oil painting by Nels Johnson from Etsy

I'm starting to realize that baby rooms can be a really great way to explore color and take a few risks where you normally wouldn't. So if you are expecting to bring a new baby into the world take my lead and think a little outside the box. No need for clouds on the ceiling, get creative and have fun! 

~N