Tuesday, June 5, 2012

SHADOWBOXIN IT!

On one of my recent ventures to do some accessory shopping for a client I came across these gorgeous polished abalone shells and instantly knew I wanted to pull on my DIY hat and try my hand at shadowboxing. Now if there is one thing I know about shadowboxes, it's that there is a very fine line between it looking like an expensive collection and a crafty scrap book. All of the photos I found below are a prime example of how shadowboxing should look. 

Exhibit A, vintage items like these old stamps or this plumed fan can tell a great story. 
Notice how the framer kept the stamps clustered together with plenty of negative space on the border. This helps you focus in on the object and also creates a really lovely composition. 

DIY fan shadow box by The Aestate Blog


 When done right, a massive collection of shadowboxes can create a hallway full of memories. 



Totally condone the fashionista who wants to flaunt her best shopping bags. 

 This is a really well done "mancave" shadowbox, btu any crazier and it could like a Friday night out at your local Applebee's...

I could see how the whole cork collecting fad could get boring but paired with other fun kitchen items in the same shadowboxes and you create a nice vignette. 

 Would love to create an ombre collection of sea glass like this. Hmmm, note to self, go on a mission to find sea glass at the beach this summer!

When I first started to look for shadowboxing examples I thought all the ideas for showing off old baby clothes and shoes were going to be tacky until I came across these two photos. I think it works because there are many contemporary touches in the room itself. 


Natty Michelle Blogspot

Sea shell collection, a natural shadow box item.

Even jewelry...

 So cute for a game room!


 Thought these were actual sea urchins, turns out they are all machine knitted by Patricia Brown! That'll give em a double take!


 Of course I had to add a bit of Christopher Marley's crystal specimen collection in here. I'm eyeing one at work right now. 

 Here's an example of the abalone shells I want to frame. I'm thinking a white frame with...

some kind of cream grasscloth in the background. Maybe I could call up Phillip Jeffries and see if they have some left over scraps. 

~Nicole 

All other unidentified photos are from Pinterest.